The Ultimate Dim sum Guide



Top Gun Seafood Restaurant
12450 SE 38th St
(between S 124th Ave & S Factoria Blvd)
Bellevue, WA 98006

Piano man and I met up with my college prof who's in town with his wife. Since I wasn't familiar with their food preference, I decided to bring them to the safest place I can think of, Top Gun for some dim sum. I know the name sounds crazy for a Chinese restaurant but it doesn't really matter, this is the best place for dim sum in the East side although there may be a few downsides.

First, the waiting time. The lady in the front of the house ALWAYS says 15-20 minutes, don't be fooled! We waited 35 minutes the first time we went here, and then realized right after that the wait is worth it. People would stand outside carrying their babies in the rain and still don't care.

Second, don't expect little miss sunshines for waitresses. They don't speak a lot of English and they don't smile a lot. It doesn't really bother me, I just want shu mai.

Lastly, parking can be a bit of a hassle, but like I said, it's all worth it, they're renovating a part of the parking lot anyway.

I know every city in the US has a Chinatown and more than likely, there is a dim sum place there waiting to be discovered. So here's a list of my favorite dim sum platters, just to help you decide which ones to get the next time.

6) Deep Fried Salt and Pepper Tofu - Tofu fried with garlic, green onions and red pepper flakes
5) Deep Fried Shrimp Balls - Most places have more than one kind, made with minced shrimp and wonton wrappers cut and fried to goodness, served with sweet white sauce made with mayo, honey and sesame oil.
4) Honey Walnut Shrimp - Deep fried shrimps tossed with the same sweet white sauce, walnuts and sesame seeds
3) Har Gow - steamed minced pork and shrimp wrapped in a translucent film
2) Pork Spareribs with Black Beans - steamed spareribs with flavors of tausi, sesame oil and chinese white wine
1) Shu Mai - need I say more?

And as mentioned in my post here, we love eating dim sum with fried rice!
Best of luck on your next dim sum craving. :)

Comments

Post a Comment