Savory Chinese Steamed Egg Custard (Zheng Ji Dan Geng)



As I have mentioned in my Vietnamese Spring roll post, I plan to create my own version of dishes I came across to while in graduate school. Done with Vietnam, next is China. I know I have somehow posted some Chinese recipes before but this particular post is different. You won't see this in the usual Chinese restaurants alongside Kung Pao Chicken. The closest I have encountered is in a Korean restaurant, and apparently Koreans have a version of this too, and they call it Gye Ran Jjim.


So I did a little bit of researching and found out that this dish is very common in Northeast China and at some point, everyone has eaten steamed eggs in their lives, especially when they were kids. Hopefully, this recipe brings out a Ratatouille Moment for someone (that moment when a familiar flavor can take you back through time).

What you need:
-1 egg (to fit a small ramekin)
- 1/4 cup water
- few drops of Soy Sauce (or Filipino Knorr Seasoning)
- few drops of Sesame oil
- chopped green onions


How it's done:
Place egg, water in a bowl and beat with whisk, add few drops of sesame oil and soy sauce and whisk to mix.

Have your steamer ready (I'm using my handy-dandy bamboo steamer), steam for around 8-10 minutes.

Serve with chopped green onions on top. You may add a few drops of sesame oil and soy sauce or if you like it spicy, some chili oil.


Kam's Tips:
- Since egg is the main ingredient in this recipe, I suggest using cage-free/organic eggs for a really fresher taste.

Comments