Pork Adobong Gapan with Pinakurat

This is my default Adobo recipe, just because Piano man and I LOVE fried garlic. There's probably hundreds of Adobo versions out there but my palate is used to two versions, this one and the Cavite version. (FYI: Haven't really tried making the Cavite version but all I know about it is --> achuete is your friend)

My father's family is from Gapan, a small town in the province of Nueva Ecija up North. I remember spending weekends there enjoying the best pastillas, barquillos with ice cream, my lola's Chicken Afritada and Adobong Gapan. I was in awe everytime we go to their town market as I often see "unique" ingredients that are not only new to my eyes, but also to my smell. (Burong Isda FTW! Eekkk, I kid)

Dinuguan & Burong Isda. Pic taken from pinoy_pinay
What you need:
- 1 lb. pork (I use pork butt but this is better with pork belly)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup Pinakurat**, optional
- 1 cup water
- 3 Bay leaves
- Salt & Pepper to Taste

- 5 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- Another 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced

How it's done:
In a big sauce pan, add pork, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, Pinakurat, water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Season to taste.

Remove meat and strain. Set sauce aside.

In a big wok, heat up the vegetable oil. Brown minced garlic, add in meat and brown all sides.
Add in the sauce. Serve hot with rice.

Kam's Tips:
- I add a bit of ginger powder for a bit more flavor.
- Craving for something salty? After browning the meat, add around 3 tbsp. of brown bagoong to make Binagoongan :)
- **Pinakurat is a vinegar mix of coconut sap (tuba) and small red chilies known as labuyo in the Philippines. You can always use ordinary vinegar of course. Always take note though: Filipino vinegar is what makes Filipino adobo tasty! You'll find some on most Asian stores.

Comments

Post a Comment