Steak Lunch a la Kam


I am so excited to see the latest Game of Thrones episode tonight that while I was thinking of what to make for Sunday lunch, I was actually thinking of what I would feed Prince Oberyn before he fights the Mountain. What a fan-girl :P

This is my usual steak meal: steak, mushrooms, gravy, mashed potatoes and some greens.
Game of Thrones-inspired :)


What you need:

For the Steak
8 oz thin-cut Rib Eye steak seasoned with:
garlic salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder

Using an iron skillet on medium heat, I just cooked the steak for 2 minutes on each side (this is for medium well, adjusted since my steak is thin). You can use this steak rareness scale I found on the internet as a guide on that "How do you like your steak?" question:



For the Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4 medium red potatoes
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced

Slice potatoes in quarters and place in a pot filled with water, add a pinch of salt.
Let boil for 5-7 minutes.
Use fork to test if potatoes are soft, place in colander to remove excess water.

In a big bowl, add in cooked potatoes, butter, heavy cream, salt and pepper and minced garlic.
Mix and then start mashing potatoes until creamy.

For your Greens
You can just create a simple salad or in my case, just steamed 5-6 pieces of asparagus :)

Serve steak with the side of mashed potatoes, gravy and asparagus. Pair with a good red wine.

Comments