Mushroom Gravy a la Kam


Filipinos LOVE gravy. I remember coming here to the US and ordering a bucket of chicken from KFC expecting to get gravy, but I didn't. It was hard to eat American fried chicken as my childhood memories always partnered fried chicken, pork chops or steak with gravy. Even when I was in college, I remember my guy-classmates would order 1 small piece of chicken and 7 cups of rice. Yes, they can finish the rice with just a little fried chicken thigh, because it came with a gravy-all-you-can bowl (refillable gravy - only in the Philippines- Almer's Dapitan to be exact).

So having family over for the weekend, I made a simple Filipino steak dinner for them. T-bone steak prepared medium with rice and gravy. They loved it and I still have leftovers :P!

Here is my quick gravy recipe. Serve it with any meat you like to eat with gravy.

What you need:
A few drops of olive oil
1 clove garlic minced
Around 10-15 button mushrooms, sliced according to your preference
1 cup of water
1 beef cube
*around 1 tbsp. whipping cream
*1 tbsp. corn starch diluted in around 1/4 cup water

How it's done:
On a saucepan, heat up your olive oil and then add in garlic.
Immediately add in the mushrooms, cook for around 3 minutes.

Add in the cup of water and beef cube. Let simmer for 3 minutes on low/medium heat.
Add in the cream, mix a little.
Add in the cornstarch solution to thicken.

Kam's Tips:
- I tweak this recipe a bit to make my meal "fancier", I remove the cream and the cornstarch mixture and add red wine instead.

Comments

  1. Ooohh... Just in time. I have leftover peppered beef steak too (my first attempt, haha), and I've been thinking of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment