Filipino Shanghai Meatballs Surprise a la Kam


I made quite a huge batch of Filipino spring rolls the other day and ran out of spring roll wrappers. I knew immediately I was going to make meatballs out of the extra meat. You see, when my siblings and I were growing up, our weekends were spent either in Nueva Ecija (where my dad is from) or Cavite (where my mom is from) and during those weekends, I've tasted the best Filipino food of my life!

In Cavite, my aunt's cook was a sweet elderly lady we call "Manang" and she was actually the one who came up with the idea of adding hard boiled egg in a meatball (I'm pretty sure you have figured out why it's called Meatballs Surprise right?).

What you need:
(Lumpia Shanghai Meat)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 medium sized carrot, chopped
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped 
  (or 2 stalks of green onions, chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- Dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder

- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, cut in half
- Around 3 tbsp. olive oil for pan-frying 

How it's done:
Mix ground beef, chopped veggies, oyster sauce and seasonings together.
The best mixing tool are your hands my friend :)

Sprinkle some flour on your hands and then scoop in some of the meat mixture.
Add half of one egg and wrap, just like you are wrapping a dumpling, only your wrapper is meat :P
Sprinkle in more flour if the meat becomes sticky.

Pan fry the meatballs until all sides are brown. 
Finish cooking in the oven and bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes. 
Serve with sweet chili sauce.

Comments