Tinolang Manok (Chicken Soup with Chayote and Spinach) a la Kam

As you may already know, I am HUGE fan of chayote, and so it's just obvious that I love any dish that has it. Tinolang manok is one of my favorite dishes to make, mainly because it is fast, easy and soothing (hmm ginger) especially when served hot over steamed rice.

Other versions use dahong sili (chili leaves) or malunggay (moringa), but if you live in the US, I would recommend using fresh spinach.

What you need:
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
A clove of garlic, minced
Ginger the size of a thumb, minced** (I hate having to take out pieces of ginger in my mouth)

4 Chicken Thighs (that I sliced into smaller pieces)
Around 2 cups of Rice Wash or Hugas Bigas (or you can use chicken broth)

2 Chayote, sliced
1 tbsp or more Fish Sauce
Bunch of Spinach
Salt and Pepper to taste

Here's how it's done:
Heat up a wok and add in vegetable oil, after around 5 minutes, add garlic. Saute.
Add in onions and ginger. Saute until onions become translucent.

Add chicken and saute until all sides are brown (My mommy calls this "sangkutsa").
Add fish sauce and mix to incorporate into chicken. Add rice wash or broth.

Simmer for around 20-30 minutes.
Add chayote and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
Add salt and pepper, or more fish sauce if you wish.
Turn off fire, and then add the spinach.

Serve hot with steam rice.

Kam's Tips:
** I ALWAYS use minced ginger when cooking, it is not only more convenient to eat, but also more flavorful.
** You can use green papaya or squash instead of chayote. Green papaya would give the tinola a sweeter taste.

Comments