Rebosaw: Pan Fried Bananas with Caramelized White Sugar


I just found out about this delicious saba banana dessert. Piano Man's family comes from Zamboanga, an urbanized city in the south, famous for their vintas, sattis (spicy barbeque which I heard, is also amazing), curacha (spanner crab) and of course rebosaw. He was actually surprised that I wasn't familiar with it because apparently, they've been eating this comfort food since they were kids. 

So here's my version,  not bad for someone who's never been to Zamboanga :b
- 4 semi-ripe saba bananas, sliced diagonally (plantains are also good) 
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil

Since Piano Man is starting to watch what he eats, I made sure I used very little oil. I just pan fried it until  all sides were brown. Set the bananas aside and using the same pan, place: 
- 1/8 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp. water

Let it simmer, and then add the fried bananas. Gently mix to incorporate sugar into bananas. 

That's it! Best when served with tea or black coffee :) 

Comments