Fancified Banana Desserts

I didn’t do much cooking during the long weekend since my husband insisted he wanted to make something for me. (He was inspired to do it after watching Top Chef Masters with me, thanks to Susur Lee). I was excited really, most especially after finding his ambitious list of ingredients (He wanted scallops, beef tenderloin and white wine). At the end of the day, he pulled it off and it was actually not bad for a first-timer. What I can I say? I trained his taste buds well J

So I told him I was in charge of dessert and clean-up. I bought a bunch of Saba and Dole bananas so I decided to make Turon and Banana & Nutella Crepe. It tasted great! Here’s how I fancified those banana desserts:

Ingredients for Turon:

4 Egg Roll Wrappers (I use Menlo, very good brand)

1 Saba Banana, quartered

About half a cup of brown sugar

Roll the quartered Saba banana over the brown sugar and then wrap in egg roll wrapper, use water to seal and set aside.

Heat up a frying pan; add about ¾ cup vegetable oil. Fry turon until golden brown.

Top with powdered sugar. Fancified!

Ingredients for Crepe:

1-cup all-purpose flour

2 eggs

1/2-cup milk

1/2-cup water

1/4-teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter, melted

Banana

Nutella

Vanilla Ice Cream

Whipped Cream

Whisk all ingredients together. Heat a non-stick pan, spray some butter and then pour around ¼ cup of batter on the pan. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.

After turning the crepe, scoop a spoon of Nutella on the crepe and let melt. Slice up the banana and then add on top. Fold the crepe either halfway or 3-folds. Transfer to a plate, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Fancified!

Kam’s Tips:

  • This recipe makes around 8 crepes.
  • The smaller the pan, the easier it is to make.
  • A very ripe Saba banana makes a better turon.
  • Plantains can be used when Saba is not available.

Comments